Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sweet Potato

I love happy kitchen experiments! I broke out the cast iron pan this morning to whip up a big batch of my candied pecans - pecans, butter, brown sugar, chili powder, salt - and once that was all tossed together and in the oven, I had a cast iron pan still slicked with the butter, sugar and chili powder. It was time for breakfast and I didn't feel like cleaning out the pan and starting over, so I cubed up some russet potato and threw it in the hot pan, sugar and all. Now, I may have sprinkled chili powder on crunchy potatoes before, but the brown sugar was a new spin...and I think I might really like it. There wasn't enough sugar still in the pan to add more than a subtle sweetness, but I liked what sweetness there was enough to give this a whirl another time adding a bit more sugar on purpose, instead of relying on what was left in a dirty pan. Laziness has yummy results sometimes, I think I'll stick with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment