Saturday, December 10, 2011

Brown Food





You know how they say that to have a healthy diet, you should eat all the colors of the rainbow? Well, tonight's dinner will allow me to check the brown wedge off the color wheel. Inspired by a recipe in Emeril's 20-40-60 book, I made a risotto with chicken thighs and mushrooms, using some balsamic vinegar and red wine instead of the more typical white wine step. The balsamic certainly added a tangy sweetness, and although the butter I added at the end cut it a bit, it still seemed a little sharp...so maybe a touch less vinegar next time? Also, because I have lazy tendencies, I sauteed seasoned whole chicken thighs in butter and olive oil instead of cutting them into bite sized pieces and incorporating into the rice and vegetables, then just piled the chicken on top of the risotto. Not sure how the flavors might have changed if I had followed directions more closely, but that's just not how I get down. And come to think of it, is the color brown even in a rainbow?

No comments:

Post a Comment