Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Most Important Meal of the Day

Brown rice grits! Who knew? I needed a new breakfast option to get me started after my post-vacation hiatus, and while fruit and yogurt and protein bars are appropriate choices for sunny Florida, us Oklahoma girls need something a little more warm and cozy when waking up to a 19 degree morning. I'm not much of a cold cereal eater, but during the colder months, I do love a hot one. Oatmeal is fine, but I tend towards the Cream of Malt o' Wheat Meal types. Enter my new favorite...brown rice grits! I discovered them at my most recent visit to my happy place (the Whole Foods), and they have definitely earned a place in my winter morning rotation. Throw a fried egg on top, with some butter and hot sauce (which anyone who likes buffalo wings knows goes together perfectly)...and I just might have the energy and motivation to bundle up and leave my house. Or to climb back under the covers for a nap.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! Minus the egg for me. Did it take long to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, didn't take long at all. The grits only take 5 minutes or so, and since you don't like eggs, you can add butter, brown sugar or maple syrup, dried or fresh fruit, or whatever! It's a yummy blank canvas.

    ReplyDelete