Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful in the Magic Kingdom

Pumpkin cake. Sounds simple, right? Well maybe, but I can't be sure...I am at the mercy of the kindness of the chef at the Liberty Tree Tavern at Disney World to enlighten me as to the simplicity factor. Now, don't you think for a Thanksgiving second that I didn't try to find out. Our exceedingly cheerful waiter Mo from Morocco (LOVE how Disney employs staff, I mean "cast members", from all over the world) was patient enough with me to ask the chef for a recipe, then bring me an index card on which I was to write my e-mail address so it could be sent to me. (As an aside: Yes, I do realize the ridiculousness of asking a chef for his or her recipe for anything, and the compounding ridiculousness of asking for said recipe during Thanksgiving service at Disney World. I wouldn't normally behave in such a gauche manner, but that should illustrate my schmoopy feelings towards such a "simple" dessert) OK, back to the story...

I was writing my info and a grateful note to the chef and...huh?? You say that sending out the little index card was just a ploy to make me go away and not become a pumpkin cake stalker for the rest of the day? Hmm. 'Spose I might have been a tad overzealous. And what's so weird about it is that I have barely a smidge of a sweet tooth. Desserts are fine but I rarely order them, I just don't care all that much. I'd rather have cheese. Or more wine. But after a great Thanksgiving meal, I took one obligatory bite of the rustic-cast-iron-pan-looking pumpkin cake with vanilla bean ice cream (little black flecks of vanilla bean...check) and proceeded to dive right smack back into the family-style serving FOUR times! Or was it five? Six? Surely not. You know how when you bake cornbread in a cast iron pan, it has that crunchy crusty edge all around the outside? Yeah, so did this, but it was CAKE. And I swear I got a chunk of real, non-canned pumpkin in it...if I didn't, don't be a fun hater - just let me keep thinking I did. Anyway, if I get a recipe and permission, I will share it so you can experience the crunchy crusty custardy deliciousness for yourself. In the meantime, be thankful. For your family. For your friends. For anything delicious you had today and for being lucky enough to have it. I'm more thankful than I can say for all these things...and for an unexpected simple dessert.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I can't believe you loved it, as you aren't a dessert person, like me! It looks really pretty too. I hope you get the recipe.

    ReplyDelete